Hey, gang! Vic , here, with another cool Top 5 List from Brian Volke, a good friend and regular contributor to Vic’s Movie Den. It is his Top Cinco Action Movies. Enjoy!
Brian’s Top 5 Action Movies:
5. Die Hard: This adrenaline pumping movie came out of nowhere and established Bruce Willis as a household name and box office draw. It’s by far the best film of its kind because we believe in John McClain. Unlike Dirty Harry or Rambo, he’s a normal guy who has the odds stacked against him.
4. Dirty Harry: Before Dirty Harry, Clint Eastwood was known primarily as the man with no name in Sergio Leone’s terrific spaghetti westerns. The story is simple but because his character is so engaging, I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. Also, Andy Robinson is perhaps the best action villain of all time.
3. The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly: I’m throwing this into the action genre because it contains some of my favorite gunfights in screen history. 3 men on the trail of $200,000 worth of gold. Who will get it? Well, get ready to have a blast finding out.
2. The French Connection: The winner of 1971’s Best Picture has the greatest car chase in screen history. William Friedkin attached cameras to the hoods of the cars and the effect it created felt like you were in the car. Ever since, countless films by every major director copied and re-copied it to great effect. Oh, and Gene Hackman and Roy Scheider are fantastic too.
1. Raiders of the Lost Ark: George Lucas took a character inspired from the 1930’s serials that he loved and handed the directing reigns to Steven Spielberg to create the greatest action film ever made. With barely a moment to catch your breath, from snakes to plane crashes, to chases through the desert, tarantulas, rolling boulders, and historic artifacts, this movie gives you your money’s worth and then some.
Thanks for the awesome list, Brian. Incredible job and like always, I am very grateful for the contribution. Ok, gang, sound off below and tell us which are your favorite action movies of all time!